This unit will draw on a variety of materials (including contemporary documents and audiovisual resources) to introduce you to the postwar history of Germany. We will focus particularly on the following aspects:
- the political and foreign policy considerations which led to the formal division of Germany into two separate states (the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic) between 1949 and 1990;
- the political structures and history of both states;
- the establishment of different societal norms in East and West Germany during the period of the country’s division;
- the challenges of creating a united society in Germany around 1990;
- the evolving concept of national identity since 1945.
I look forward to hearing from you if you would like me to teach a course on Deutsche Teilung / the history of post-war Germany at your institution.